Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Announce Their First International Tour as Married Royals
It's official: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's first international tour is happening Down Under this fall. Kensington Palace made it Instagram official last night, writing, "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will undertake an official visit to Australia, Fiji, the Kingdom of Tonga, and New Zealand in the Autumn. The tour will fall on the occasion of the @invictusgames2018 in Sydney."
The Invictus Games are scheduled for October 20-27, though at this point, it's not clear whether they will kick off their trip before or continue visiting Fiji, Tonga, and New Zealand after the games conclude. The newlyweds' trip to Sydney has long been speculated, since Harry is patron of the Invictus Games Foundation, and he and Markle made their debut as a couple at last year's Toronto games.
There could be more travel too, as royal expert Omid Scobie told ELLE.com earlier: “With Harry appointed by the Queen as Commonwealth Youth Leader and Meghan’s poignant inclusion of all 53 Commonwealth countries in the design of her veil, much of their joint work will focus on issues that span the entire Commonwealth Nation," Scobie said. “This, of course, means they will undertake a lot of travel over the next year. They’re likely to do a short overseas visit before the fall and in October, they’ll be in Sydney for the Invictus Games that will then continue into a tour of Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Tonga. Kensington Palace says the next six months for Harry and Meghan will be ‘very busy’ so it’s no doubt going to be a challenging, but also very rewarding, time for the couple.”